Mission: Growing Gardens uses the experience of growing food in schools, backyards and correctional facilities to cultivate healthy, equitable, communities.
Growing Garden’s programs are guided by their values, which we wholeheartedly share:
- All people have a right to healthy, culturally appropriate food;
- Individuals and communities are strongest when they have the knowledge and skills to provide food for themselves and their communities;
- The need for healthy food is universal and must be adapted to the special needs of diverse populations;
- Learning and applying gardening skills adds financial benefits to individuals and communities;
- Respecting our environment, and promoting the interconnectedness of all things, improves the quality of life for everyone.
Our team originally learned about Growing Gardens through our love of good food. Every summer the nonprofit creates a series of special dinners crafted by Portland’s top chefs, with outstanding Oregon wineries and served in stunning private gardens. The Chef in My Garden events offer a chance to enjoy our beautiful and bountiful Oregon summer while benefiting an amazing organization.
Earth Day 2017 = Spring Dig-In
In April our team joined forces with Growing Gardens to help build garden boxes in the Portsmouth neighborhood. A few shovels, rakes, bails of straw, bags of compost, soil amendments, muscles and green-themed costumes helped to build four organic garden beds in under two hours. Now this amazing family in the NoPo community can grow healthy fruits and vegetables for years to come!
We were able to connect with the head of fundraising and events, Jason Skipton to learn a little more about this amazing organization: